About the Job - Senior Attorney
A globally recognized energy company is looking to bring on a Senior Attorney. They are looking to continue their pursuit of developing solar, wind, geothermal, and hydroelectric energy projects under long-term power agreements.
Provides legal support for the company and its subsidiaries to assist it in accomplishing its goals consistent with existing laws, regulations and agreements. Position will engage in legal work including contract review, providing legal advice to a variety of business units, involvement and oversight of litigation and negotiation, documentation and implementation of energy projects and business acquisitions.
- Provides legal counsel and guidance on the activities of the organization. Will engage in legal work, providing legal advice to a variety of business units. Responsible for legal compliance and preventive law representation and training. Ensures maximum protection of the organization's legal rights, utilizing broad familiarity with most major legal disciplines.
- Involvement and oversight of litigation and negotiation, documentation and implementation of energy projects and business acquisitions, contract drafting, review and negotiations.
- Dispute avoidance counseling, dispute and litigation management, outside counsel management.
- Provides legal advice in matters involving new business opportunities and unregulated businesses.
- Directs the defense of the organization against suits or claims and prepares the prosecution of the company's claims against others.
- Analysis of business opportunities, including due diligence.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested or assigned.
- Must have a law degree from an accredited law school.
- Must be licensed to practice law in Iowa or be licensed in one state and licensed in Iowa within one year after start date.
- A minimum of six years of legal experience is required. Experience in renewable energy industry, employment law or law firm setting is a plus.
- Must demonstrate sound oral and written communication skills, sound judgment, and an ability to fulfill leadership responsibilities assigned; an ownership approach to projects and tasks is critical.
- Must have a good understanding of the laws in areas of expertise and proficient in its interpretation and application.
- Must possess effective analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Must be able to handle critical time constraints, priorities and meet established deadlines.
- Must be available outside of normal working hours.
- Must be able to handle heavy workload, multiple project responsibilities and continually changing priorities.
- Must be willing to travel periodically for projects, hearings, litigation, negotiations, etc.
- Must support company's employee policies and procedures, including workplace safety rules.
- Must exercise proficiency in the use and application of computer programs including spreadsheet, word processing, and e-mail programs.