The ideal candidate will represent the company's policyholders in workers' compensation litigation through settlement, trial, or appeal, and to issue advisory opinions on legal issues, including issues of policy inception and coverage as appropriate.
Location: Kansas City, MO
- Manage high exposure disputes and litigation, including trials and appeals to Labor & Industrial Relations Commission and Courts of Appeals.
- Provide legal advice on complex matters including but not limited to; conflicts, discovery, lost time, medical treatment, permanent partial disability, vocational issues, occupational diseases, firefighter cancer, fatal cases, mesothelioma, permanent total disability, and other complex or serous cases.
- Act as lead counsel at trials and hearings of workers compensation cases throughout the state.
- Communicate with the court, witnesses, opposing counsel and co-counsel with professional diplomacy and discretion.
- Facilitate prompt, efficient and effective disposition of assigned cases.
- Independently prepare and present witnesses and evidence at trials, judicial/administrative hearings, arbitrations and alternative dispute resolutions.
- Appear in all Missouri state courts and before all Workers Compensation Division administrative law judges in all pre-trial, trial, and post-trial proceedings, including appeals.
- Independently conduct depositions and other discovery of lay, medical and expert witnesses, approved by claims representatives.
- Negotiate settlement of workers compensation claims pursuant to authority granted by claims representatives on an as needed basis.
- Proficient knowledge of Missouri/Kansas state's workers compensation law and administration.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and procedures.
- Advanced knowledge of state rules of evidence and rules of civil and appellate procedure.
- Exhibit an expertise in medical knowledge sufficient to independently and effectively interact with insureds, medical professionals, opposing counsel, judges, the Division of Workers' Compensation, Labor and Industrial Relations, and Courts of Appeals, and advocate effectively on appeal, if applicable.
- 5+ years of experience in insurance law and/or workers compensation law.
- Demonstrated competence in trial advocacy and appellate practice.
- Juris Doctor (JD) Degree
- Active license in Missouri
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Option to work remotely
- Inclusive and collaborative workplace