I am working with a publicly traded company in Houston, Texas. They are looking for an experienced Environmental, Health, and Saftey Counsel. The candidate should have excellent judgment, tact, collegiality, and cooperation when dealing with people at all levels, inside and outside the business; See below the following criteria.
- Develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of all relevant environmental, health, and safety laws, regulations, and standards, both domestic and international, and advise the business on their implications.
- Ensure the business complies with applicable environmental, health, and safety laws, regulations, and standards.
- Advise subject matter experts, managers, executives, and other clients on a broad range of regulatory-driven matters, including within EHS subject matter-related areas of air, waste, water, remediation, personal and process safety management, product safety and stewardship, sustainability, and climate, security and other U.S. regulatory programs administered by EPA, OSHA, CSB, DOT, SEC, FRA, FAA, FDA, DEA, Etc., and international programs such as REACH;
- Monitor emerging environmental, health, and safety issues, and provide advice on the potential implications of these issues.
- Oversee the development and implementation of environmental, health, and safety policies and procedures, and ensure their consistent application.
- Analyze the potential environmental, health, and safety risks associated with proposed business activities, and advise on appropriate risk mitigation strategies.
- Provide legal guidance on environmental, health, and safety-related litigation and disputes, and develop strategies for managing these.
- Represent the business in environmental, health, and safety negotiations.
- J.D. from an accredited U.S. law school, with demonstrated academic excellence (required) and a minimum of 6 years of experience at a highly regarded law firm and/or in the legal department of a large multinational company.
- Demonstrated knowledge, competence, and experience in multiple environmental disciplines and the professional judgment needed to operate as the Company's most senior subject matter expert and legal resource on a global basis.
- Proven capability to operate in a dynamic corporate environment that puts a premium on teamwork and cross-functional collaboration, including periods of compressed deadlines, high demand, and occasional long hours.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, negotiating, and communication skills are essential, as is experienced in writing diligence memorandums, preparing case summaries, and explaining complex legal issues in plain English.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Licensed to practice and in good standing with an applicable state bar (required).
***Juris Doctor Required***